Tuesday, May 24

London Blog

"Remember, in London you are never more than 10 feet from a rat."

This is one of the first things Tina told us in the orientation meeting. What a charming thought. . .
So, here we are! Living in London--a day I've known about for 5 years but never really could imagine. We live in a nice neighborhood--Notting Hill, in fact. Our block is across the street from the entrance to Kensington Palace. Best of all, across the street from Kensington Park--a glorious place where I've taken lots of photos already. So far the things that have caught my attention are the dogs, the taxis, the lamp posts and gates, and Portabello Road. Variety and charm.

The weather is different than the other 2 times I've been here in May--It hasn't rained much at all but it is quite cold and much windier than I remember. And the subway (henceforth, called the "Tube"--not because I'm trying to sound fancy like I'm best friends with the tube and I know what the locals call it, but because when I say subway here, I sound like an idiot who doesn't know what things are called. I still can't bring myself to say 'flat' like everyone else--I'm not cool enough.) But I digress, I was going to say that it seems like the tube doesn't smell as bad as before.

The days are flying by--we've already been here 2 weeks. Tomorrow we leave for Paris--looking forward to it--we've never gone via the chunnel so I'm intrigued by that.

So now we're back from Paris--nothing to report about the chunnel--it's like all other train trips in Europe, but the trains themselves are a bit nicer than most. I slept most of the way going and coming and was only vaguely aware of being in the tunel part. I'll write more about the Paris trip later, I just have to get this first blog going so I can quit feeling so bad about not being in touch with anyone--it's overwhelming to try and keep in touch with everyone so I figure this is a way that I (we) can do it that will be easy and hopefully fun for all of us.

So what are blogs anyway? I can't say really, they are just kind of conversations that take place and make life more interesting-- There are several that I love and follow quite diligently, but those are already in progress and this London thing is kind of another subject so I decided to start this one to keep in touch with any and every one who is interested, so come one, come all-- I know you have interesting things to say, let's get a conversation going and see what happens. . .
Feel free to make comments or just hang around lurking. I'm hoping this will inspire some of you to make a blog for yourself that I can add to my 'check-so-and-so's-blog' list.

P.S .
If you are new to this and decide to make a comment, the first thing to learn is that they are not posted immediately--quickly yes, but not immediately so when you post a comment and then don't see it, don't assume you did it wrong and do it over again, it'll post in a few minutes.
Cheers,
Julie

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I am posting a comment so you can see how it works--You can post anonymously or sign up and get your own blog, or just chose 'other' and use whatever name you want. It is more fun if we at least have some idea of who you are, but it's up to you--
okaybye

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Julie said...

If you go to magleby.com and look at the photos there, I'd be interested to have your feedback on what are the best ones.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just a test to see what happens if I publish a comment as 'other' and fill in the optional 'Your web page box'

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what it looks like if you publish as anonymous

 
At Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:38:00 AM, Blogger kacy faulconer said...

Finally, some real news. So it's pretty cold there? I love all your family pictures of people sleeping and Berkely lookes good in all of her pictures. She's very photogenic, but maybe it's the million-dollar camera. I'm so glad you're blogging. What's fun that you have bought?

 
At Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

Lucky. I want to see London and Paris. I'll come back to read more about it, but somehow I know it won't be the same as BEING THERE!

Are you the same Magelby whose husband taught Art History at BYU? If so,I took a class from him in 1997. Good times.

 
At Friday, May 27, 2005 4:41:00 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Yes that Is my husband. That is why we are here in London.
1997. . ..that was a hard year, I'm glad to hear you say good times.

Happy Memorial Day everyone--It's a holiday weekend here too only they just call it a bank holiday.
We are going to take the train NE and visit the McLarens -- looking forward to it.

 
At Friday, May 27, 2005 8:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie! It's Diana Allred and I have absosultely no idea what a blog is but stumbled upon it through my e-mail. I barely know how to do that. I am just so glad to hear from you. Ashley, Chelsea and I spent last weekend in NY seeing Wicked (which was totally awesome) and the Metropolitan Museum which Ashley said was painfully void without all of Mark's wisdom. She is forever ruined of viewing art without the great Professor around. Actually her knowledge greatly helped Chelsea and me as we know pathetically little of the art world. Too long of a comment--love you, miss you, thanks for the news!!! take care

 
At Monday, May 30, 2005 6:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, Jules, Berk, And, Rob--
Cheers!! I've wanted for days to try and email you guys, and somewhat whimsically checked magleby.com and stumbled on the BLOG! I'm still hurting about the fact that Mom & Dad didn't mention your going away bash! (Surprised, no--Hurt, yes)! Sorry we missed it and didn't even get a chance to say goodbye. We'll keep in touch--we hope you're all great! We're moving out of our house this weekend, so I'm off to pack more--lovely! Talk to you guys soon.
Love Ya

 
At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jules. Thanks for the news. We've been thinking about you. I drive past the house regularly - it's still standing. The wildflowers by the sidewalk are slightly neglected. Who knew Diana was going to NYC? I'm learning all kinds of stuff from your blog. Keep giving us details.

 
At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Hey Julie- Congratulations on the start of your new blog! Here's the link for my blog: http://wondergirljenny.blogspot.com
I put a link for you family's website on mine so my friends could go and see the group pictures, I hope you don't mind. Let me know if you do. Later- Jenny

 
At Friday, June 10, 2005 1:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

london makes me love america

 

Post a Comment

<< Home